Thursday, January 13, 2011

I’m not much of a sports guy. I mean I have my teams and I know the rules of the game. I played little league like every boy did and I watch my teams when they’re playing. But ask me a player’s names and where they came from and I’m done, I don’t keep track. However I know a lot of men who are obsessed with sports and who go to the extreme with fantasy ‘blah blah’ or what not. That’s just not me. So I had to ask myself, “Am I a man?” Do I HAVE to see my team play every Sunday or know who got traded to who to be in the club? It does seem awkward when I’m with the guys and they talk about “Why did they get rid of so-and-so!” I just nod my head and say, “I know, what were they thinking?!” But I don’t care. I’ve tried to care, for a short while I tried to learn all the players on my team and their positions. Tried to even learn the national standings of the league. But alas it was futile. I just don’t care.

It took me a while and a lot of thinking but then I realized it, I realized that it’s OK that I don’t care. I’m still a man. But what of these men, those who live sports? What I think is that some of these men, not all but some have nothing in their life to feel manly about, ( I know this because I’ve observed many of these types) and somehow knowing the stats, the players and watching each game gives them the testosterone boost they need to feel like the twig and berries between their legs isn’t just for decoration. One man in particular who is one of the most obsessive fan I know didn’t know how to check his water-heater pilot light. That’s emasculating to not be able to give your family hot water. And I know he’s not alone in that.

Every man need something to make them feel masculine. Some join the military, some get into construction, and some actually do sports. However those who are in a profession that doesn’t breed testosterone, they need to find an outlet and for most it is sports.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not finding fault or making fun of these types. Modern society has bred a domesticated gentleman. A man who is taught to not be violent but instead to be submissive and show no aggression. So in turn these men let other men, men who weren’t turned by the emasculating society to be men for them.

So am I a man even though I don’t follow sports as closely as others? Yes. Am I more of a man than those who follow sports? No; we are all men in the same brotherhood and need to respect each others outlets whatever they may be. I just choose it not to be sports and am OK with that. I’m comfortable in my manhood to live it out myself and not through a professional sports player. That’s just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment